Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Rosslyn Chapel

I went to Edinburgh with Stacey today. While she was at her art class, I decided to go to Roslin. It's seven miles outside of Edinburgh, so I took the bus. After a thirty-five minute bus ride, I walked about 1.5 miles and arrived at Rosslyn Chapel. I was mainly interest in the Chapel because of The DaVinci Code. It wasn't quite what I expected, but it was interesting. First, the Chapel was much smaller than I expected. Second, it had a big corrugated roof built over it and scaffolding all around it. But having traveled so far, I was determined to make the most of it.

I rented an audio-guide and went in. The inside of the Chapel is quite ornate. There are flowers and leaves everywhere carved in stone. There are also Biblical characters, "Green Men," and skeletons. I even saw an angel playing the bagpipes. I can see how a symbologist would have a big time there, but it didn't answer any of life's great questions for me--like in The DaVinci Code. In fact, Rosslyn Chapel is not much more than a congregation of Scottish Episcopalians (not to say that that's not something--it's just not what I expected). If you're interested, you can find out more about it at www.rosslyn-chapel.com.

Afterwards, I went in the gift shop. They have "Templar Wine" and "Rosslyn Chapel Strawberry Preserves." You can get reproductions of some of the carvings and even a copy of The DaVinci Code. Then, you can read it whilst sipping tea in the Rosslyn Chapel Cafe (seriously).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home