Saturday, October 02, 2004

Course #1: The Balgove

I finally played golf today on one of the St. Andrews Links courses. I decided to take a cab so I wouldn't have to carry my clubs for the 30 minute walk to the course. I decided to start at the bottom and play the easiest course: The Balgove. The Balgove was designed for beginners and kids, so it's only 9 holes and the longest hole is 298 yards. There are no par 5's.

At the Balgove, you can't make a tee time. You just walk up to the starter, pay, and play. Because I am a student of sorts, it only cost me 3 pounds (just less than my cab ride over). I wandered over to the first tee. It was a little confusing trying to find the tee box and deciding which way I was supposed to hit the ball. Like all the golf courses in St.Andrews, there are no trees, bushes, or cart paths to help you orient yourself (and sometimes two holes will share one green). The advantage is that you can't lose a ball. The disadvantage is that the wind from the North Sea will do what it will with your ball once it is in the air.

As I stood on the first tee box trying to orient myself to this cow pasture style of golf course, three other people also approached the teebox. After a short discussion, we decided to play together. My new friends were Solvi, Sigga, and ????--two guys and a girl from Iceland. We were about the same skill level, so we had a good time.

After our game, Solvi, Sigga, ????, and I all went to the clubhouse for tea. I had Earl Grey. Feeling grateful for a great, inexpensive day of golf, I picked up the tab for the tea. Solvi must have felt grateful too, because he gave me a ride home.

I think I'll play again next Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home